EDI 940 Warehouse Shipping Schedule
Companies looking to transact business with major retailers need to be able to interface easily and quickly with third-party logistics (3PL) companies. To help speed this process, the EDI 940 – also known as the Warehouse Shipping Order – was developed to allow for easy, fast transmission of data to ship goods from a remote warehouse to a buyer’s location.
To submit an EDI 940 document, you’ll have to adopt the Electronic Data Interchange, the dominant format in the wholesaling industry, and integrate it with your existing system. To make this a reality, go with the industry expert. Effective Data offers a complete range of EDI products and solutions to offer superior speed, accuracy and efficiency to companies of every size.
Sellers, manufacturers, and suppliers need to communicate this information with timeliness and exact precision. Using the EDI 940 document eliminates human errors and improves timeliness. The document lays out all of the information that 3PL partners need to fulfill the order exactly.
EDI 940 Transactions
EDI – the dominant electronic document exchange format for more than 50 years – remains the standard for streamlining data exchange between businesses. Product manufacturers, wholesalers and retailers aren’t the only companies that make use of EDI. Other types of firms within the supply chain, such as 3PLs, also utilize the format in the form of EDI 940 documents to transmit a range of information to 3PL companies, including:
- Buyer’s PO number, ship-to location and contact information
- Supplier’s order number
- Requested ship date
- Warehouse order details, such as item identifiers, product quantity units of measure and manufacturer information
- Special equipment requirements such as refrigerated freight needs
- Billing details
Gathering and submitting this data manually would take hours, and you run the risk of passing errors along the way. By submitting an EDI 940, you can send it within minutes. And because EDI 940 populates its data from other EDI sources, you can keep errors to a minimum.
Data for the EDI 940 can be pulled from data integration through an in-house EDI system or entered manually into an EDI standard document.
Once the data is entered into the EDI translator, the conversion process will begin into an EDI document. The resulting document is error-free and will be transmitted promptly to the third-party, making it perfect for retailers, manufacturers, and other types of sellers.
The EDI 940 is critical for having the correct number of and type of goods delivered by a third party. At Effective Data, our EDI solutions provide complete accuracy and knowledge of the EDI transmission process.
EDI 940 transactions are most commonly sent directly to the receiver where the receiver of the EDI 940 decodes the EDI into a document that the recipient can use. The second way of sending the EDI 940 is to send it via a secure dial-up connection to a Value-Added Network (VAN) and then is routed to the recipient.
EDI 940 Solutions
Effective Data provides a range of solutions to allow your organization to submit EDI 940 documents.
- Our on-premise EDI & ERP integration resides on your server and computing infrastructure for a robust, in-house EDI solution for matchless security, access and data integrity.
- Cloud EDI, our fastest growing EDI solution, is a convenient, off-premise solution that is both more affordable and doesn’t require any investment in additional computing infrastructure. Used in connection with ED Connect, our proprietary web browser-based system, this alternative is robust and affordable.
- Companies utilizing value-added networks can make use of EDI VAN for seamless, automated communication while using multiple formats for EDI translation.
- For small and mid-sized companies that can’t justify the expense of a fully automated EDI system, Effective Data has responded with Web EDI, an entry-level system ideal for companies requiring EDI access, but only need to exchange a few documents per month.
Whether you’re in the market for an enterprise solution or a smaller company seeking a low-cost option, Effective Data offers full-service, one-on-one support for all of your needs. To improve accuracy and timeliness in all warehouse shipping orders, contact us below.